Grafton Rowing Club History: GRC History Page
Mr Sam See, the Mayor of Grafton, presided over the initial meeting to consider the formation of a rowing club in Grafton, with well known rowing enthusiast E. L. Lehman as convenor.
It was decided that a rowing club be formed if sufficient numbers were interested, with a joining fee of one Guinea and an annual membership fee of two Guineas (about three weeks wages at that time). A sub-committee of three members (S. B. Cameron, C. Lowenthall, and W. Stevenson) was formed to canvass for members.
Later, on June 20, 1882, at a meeting held at the Freemasons Hotel, sufficient prospective members applied for membership and paid their fees, so the Grafton Rowing Club was officially formed. A total of 28 members were enrolled at this meeting.
Mr Wally Stevenson was appointed as the first president of the club, and December 16, 1882 was set aside as the date for the club's first regatta.